US Exam Centers, Dates, Fees
US Examination Registration Guide
RCM Certificate Program examinations provide a national standard for students, parents and teachers to track and measure progress and achievements. Preparing for and successfully completing an examination builds self-confidence and helps students develop a sense of pride.
August Session Important Dates
|Online Registration Deadline
||May 14, 2019
||August 9 & 10, 2019
||August 2-8, 2019
* In select centers only.
REGISTER FOR EXAMINATIONS
Practical Examination Fees
- Preparatory (non-piano): $59
- Preparatory A: $59
- Preparatory B: $59
- Level 1: $99
- Level 2: $120
- Level 3: $145
- Level 4: $155
- Level 5: $165
- Level 6: $175
- Level 7: $185
- Level 8: $230
- Level 9: $260
- Level 10: $425
- Level 10 Split: Repertoire Only: $295
- Level 10 Split: Technique, Ear Tests, and Sight Reading: $295
- Level 10 Split: Technique, Orchestral Excerpts, Ear Tests, and Sight Reading: $295
- ARCT - Performer’s: $725
- ARCT - Teacher's (non-piano): $725
- ARCT - Teacher's Part 1 (non-piano): $445
- ARCT - Teacher's Part 2 (non-piano): $445
- Elementary Piano Pedagogy: $370
- Intermediate Piano Pedagogy: $390
- Advanced Piano Pedagogy Practical: $495
- Advanced Piano Pedagogy Viva Voce: $495
- Licentiate - Piano Performance: $895
- Level 9 Keyboard Harmony: $170
- Level 10 Keyboard Harmony: $195
- ARCT Keyboard Harmony: $240
Supplemental Practical Examination Fees (Level 10 and ARCT only, if applicable)
Level 10 Supplemental Examinations
- Technical Requirements: $175
- Ear Test: $150
- Sight Reading or Sight Singing: $150
- Studies Only: $150 (NOT applicable to piano, accordion, cello, double bass, guitar, viola, violin; please consult a current syllabus for further details)
- Orchestral Excerpts (where applicable): $175
- Figured Bass: $135
- Questions: $135
- Pedal Scales: $155
- Trio Studies: $155
- Obbligato: $155
ARCT Supplemental Examinations
- Advanced Piano Pedagogy Supplemental: Repertoire: $495
- Technical Requirements: $190
- Ear Test: $165
- Sight Reading or Sight Singing: $190
- Figured Bass: $155
- Orchestral Excerpts (where applicable): $180
- Viva Voce "A" Pedagogical Principles: $215
- Viva Voce "B" Applied Pedagogy: $215
- Viva Voce "C" (for Voice only): $215
Theory Examination Fees
- Level 5 Theory: $125
- Level 6 Theory: $135
- Level 7 Theory: $145
- Level 8 Theory: $155
- Level 9 Harmony & Counterpoint: $175
- Level 9 History: $175
- Level 10 Harmony & Counterpoint: $195
- Level 10 History: $195
- ARCT Harmony & Counterpoint: $240
- ARCT Analysis: $240
- ARCT History: $240
- ARCT Teachers Written: $240
- Elementary Piano Pedagogy Written: $165
- Intermediate Piano Pedagogy Written: $185
- Advanced Piano Pedagogy Written: $240
- Academic Qualifying Exam: $850
- Practice Theory Paper Assessment: $65
- Re-Evaluation of Theory Examination Paper: $65
- Re-Calculation of Theory Examination Paper: $20
- Duplicate or Replacement Practical Results: $35
- Duplicate or Replacement Theory Results: $35
- Transcript: $35
- Transcripts (per additional copy): $10
- Duplicate or Replacement Certificates: $45
- Duplicate or Replacement Diplomas: $85
- Duplicate or Replacement Silver/Gold Medals: $100
- Transfer of Theory Credit: $65
- Special Theory Center: $35
- Past Sample Theory Papers (ARCT Teacher's Written and Theory & Composition — non-piano): $15
- Late Application Fee: $45
- Paper Application Fee: $20
- Substitute Piece Request: $30
Why Take an Exam?
The RCM Certificate Program offers examinations at all levels as an integral part of our renowned system of study. This is because examinations:
- provide students with a challenge to prepare for and overcome
- help students to set goals and round out their musical knowledge.
- are a great way for them to show off student progression and achievements and a wonderful way to celebrate student success along their music journey
Students who take exams see additional benefits, both in their daily lives and in their music training. Here are a few examples:
- Eligible to win Gold Medal awards from The Royal Conservatory.
- Many high schools recognize RCM Certificate Program examinations for credit toward graduation.
- An accredited examiner from the RCM's College of Examiners provides objective feedback and comments which can be valuable in developing the student’s skills.
- Students who participate in RCM examinations tend to become more dedicated to their instrument and practice more often.
- Achievement in RCM Certificate Program examinations is an impressive addition to any résumé. More than just sharing an individual’s musical accomplishments, it is indicative of their creativity, a willingness to learn, an ability to set both short and long-term goals, and a commitment to achieving difficult tasks.
We encourage all our students to take examinations to challenge themselves and help build their confidence!
View our Guide to Examinations!
Also, watch these 2 short videos of students talking about their exam experiences!
New to Teaching the RCM Certificate Program?
If you are new to teaching the RCM Certificate Program and are unsure how to submit your students for exams, we have prepared an online guide to help!
Use the navigation link at the top of the guide to jump to our step-by-step instructions on how to register your students.