RCM Teacher Certification
RCM Teacher Certification
Did you receive your renewal notice? If so, please click here to renew your certification.
Please note: You cannot renew your certification more than three months prior to the status expiry date.
RCM Certified Teachers are dedicated lifelong learners who share a commitment to building a brighter future for music education. As an RCM Certified Teacher, you receive exclusive online access to valuable professional development resources that will help you build and strengthen your teaching practice. You join a private online community of like-minded peers with whom you can share your teaching challenges and celebrate your successes. You raise your profile as a teaching professional through accreditation in your specialty and top-tier positioning in our National Music Teacher Directory.
Why become certified?
Learn from master teachers from all across North America
Join a community of lifelong learners who are cmomitted to being the best in your craft
Discover tips for successfully overcoming everyday challenges
RCM Teacher Certification is valid for a two year period and the cost is $249 - that's less than $3/week for access to high-quality, comprehensive collections and resources via your Teacher Portal and all the other benefits RCM Certified Teachers receive.
Transform your teaching — Choose the plan that's right for you
How to become an RCM Certified Teacher
RCM Certified Teachers are accredited based on a combination of credentials and demonstrated experience with the RCM system of music study and assessment. There are 2 ways that you can become an RCM Certified Teacher:
LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW TO QUALIFY
- You meet the prerequisites for education and successful exam candidates
- You successfully complete the RCM Piano Teacher Course, submit 2 successful piano exam candidates at the required levels within two years, and hold the RCM Level or equivalent training that corresponds with that designation.
If you know you are qualified and are ready to apply, you can do so now by following the instructions below.
Apply Now in 3 Easy Steps
Please note: You will need to have your RCME number on hand for this process.
1. Log in to your My RCM account
2. On your My RCM page, fill out the My Experience Form (found in the navigation menu on the left)
- Click the "Add" button after completing the information requested in each line
- Once you've filled out the entire form, click "Save Teacher Details and Apply for Teacher Certification"
3. Proceed to payment page
- You will be prompted to enter your RCME number here
- You can pay in full or in three (3) monthly installments of $83.
RCM Certification is valid for a two-year period. Within 24 months of receiving full certification* you must meet the following requirements to remain certified.
- Submit at least 4 successful RCM examination candidates (can be combination of practical and/or theory)
- Complete 10 hours of eligible RCM professional development**
- Update your online teacher profile
- Submit $249 for continued access to your exclusive Certified Teacher Portal resources and collections
Note: You will receive an email from RCM Teacher Certification to remind you of your upcoming renewal deadline. If you have not heard from us and your renewal date is approaching, please email [email protected].
* Teachers become fully Certified via Equivalent Standing OR through successful completion of an RCM Online Piano Teacher Course plus submission of two successful piano exam candidates.
** Eligible RCM professional development: RCM Online Piano Teacher Courses (including audit version); RCM Certified Teacher Portal Seminars, Tutorials, and Videos; RCM Summer Summit; in-person RCM Workshops and Clinics.
Pedagogy and Teacher’s ARCT
The RCM Piano Pedagogy Certificate Examinations continue to be offered.
If you have completed one or more levels of the RCM Pedagogy Certificate Program and have submitted the required number of exam candidates, you have achieved Equivalent Standing at the same level in our Teacher Certification Program. You can apply to be Certified via Equivalent Standing and you may also complete your pedagogical studies through our RCM Online Piano Teacher Courses.
ARCT Teacher’s Diploma (piano and non-piano)
If you have completed your ARCT Teacher’s Diploma (piano or non-piano) and have submitted the required number of exam candidates, you have achieved Equivalent Standing as an Advanced Specialist in our Teacher Certification Program. Please click here to apply for Certification in your specialty.