Finding a Music Teacher
Once you've found a music teacher through the RCM National Music Teacher Directory database, consider signing up for a single lesson so you and your child can get to know this very important person in your child's music education. Here are the Top 10 questions to ask them:
- How many years have you been teaching?
- Where do you provide lessons – your home, a studio, or in your student’s home?
- How many students do you teach, and at what levels?
- What kind of instrument(s) do you provide?
- Are you a RCM Certified Teacher?
- Do you teach private lessons, group lessons or both?
- Do you include the study of theory in the yearly lesson plan?
- Do you encourage parents to observe lessons or participate in practice sessions?
- What types of short- and long-term goals do you set for your students?
- Do you encourage your students to prepare for festivals and/or RCM exams?
Inclusion in the Directory does not constitute an endorsement of specific teachers. Students should consider their needs carefully in selecting the teacher who is right for them.