Theory: Level 6
Theory: Level 6
All Theory & History classes are in-person only. Tuition does not include
textbooks or exam. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks and registering for exams.
In this class you will cover all concepts as outlined in the Theory Syllabus, 2016 Edition
- All major and minor keys
- Pitch and Notation - accidentals, double sharps and flats, transposition
- Rhythm and Meter – thirty-second notes and rests, dotted sixteenth notes and rests, compound meters, application of time signatures, bar lines, notes, and rests
- Intervals - all intervals including enharmonic equivalents
- Scales – all major and minor scales, relative major and minor keys, parallel major and minor keys, scale degree names
- Chords and Harmony – solid/blocked or broken triads, dominant 7th chords, identification of authentic and half cadences, application of functional chord symbols for implied harmonies of a melody
- Melody and Composition – composition of a question-answer phrase pair
- Form and Analysis – identification of concepts, identification of key (major or minor) of a given passage
- 28 sessions from September to May
- weekly one-hour live classes taught by RCM Examiner
- official Level 6 Examination
- full access to the online study guide (via Moodle Account)
- Practice Tests - can be completed as many times a student wishes before taking the Unit Test
- Unit Tests - can only be completed once and cumulatively represent 40% of a student’s final grade
- Final Exam - taken only after all Unit Tests completed; Exam represents remaining 60% of final grade
- official RCM Examination Certificate upon succesful completion of Examination
Textbooks are not included in tuition and must be purchased by students prior to the first class.
Completion of RCM Level 5 Theory.
(not included in tuition):