Theory: Level 7
Theory: Level 7
All Theory classes will be delivered online via Zoom. Times are local in the Eastern Time zone.
In this class you will cover all concepts as outlined in the Theory Syllabus, 2016 Edition
- All major and minor keys
- Pitch and Notation - transposition of melodies up or down by any interval or to any key
- Rhythm and Meter – double dotted notes and rests, irregular groupings, application of time signatures, bar lines, notes, and rests Intervals; all intervals, and enharmonic equivalents
- Intervals - all intervals above or below a given note within an octave, including enharmonic equivalents
- Scales – chromatic, whole-tone, and octatonic scales; major and minor pentatonic scales; blues scales
- Chords and Harmony – diminished and augmented triads; triads built on any degree of a major or minor (harmonic) scale; leading-tone diminished 7th chords in minor keys, root position only; dominant 7th chords and their inversions; identification and writing of authentic and half cadences on a grand staff
- Melody and Composition – melodic passing and neighbor tones; composition of a contrasting period in a major key, given the antecedent phrase
- Form and Analysis – identification of concepts; application of functional or root/quality chord symbols to a melody
- 28 sessions from September to May
- weekly one-hour live classes taught by RCM Examiner
- official Level 7 Examination
- full access to the online study guide (via Moodle Account)
- Practice Tests - can be completed as many times a student wishes before taking the Unit Test
- Unit Tests - can only be completed once and cumulatively represent 40% of a student’s final grade
- Final Exam - taken only after all Unit Tests completed; Exam represents remaining 60% of final grade
- official RCM Examination Certificate upon succesful completion of Examination
Textbooks are not included in tuition and must be purchased by students prior to the first class.
Completion of RCM Level 6 Theory.
(not included in tuition):