Theory: Level 8
Theory: Level 8
All Theory & History classes are in-person only. Tuition does not include textbooks or exam. Students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks and registering for exams.
In this class you will cover all concepts as outlined in the Theory Syllabus, 2016 Edition:
- All major and minor keys
- Pitch and Notation - alto and tenor clefs; score types; transcription of melody to any other clef; transposition of melody to concert pitch for orchestral instruments (B flat and F)
- Rhythm and Meter – hybrid meters; application of time signatures, bar lines, notes, and rests
- Intervals - all simple and compound intervals up to a fifteenth above or below a given note
- Scales – all major and minor (natural, harmonic, and melodic) in treble, bass, alto, and tenor; diatonic modes
- Chords and Harmony – triads built on any degree of a major or minor (natural or harmonic) scale; dominant 7th chords and their inversions; leading-tone diminished 7th chords in minor keys; identification and writing of authentic, half, and plagal (IV–I or iv–i) cadences on a grand staff; identification of cluster chords, quartal chords, and polychords
- Melody and Composition – melodic passing tones (unaccented) and neighbor tones (unaccented); composition of a contrasting period in a major or minor key, given the first two measures
- Form and Analysis – identification of concepts; application of functional or root/quality chord symbols to a melody; identification of types of motion: parallel, similar, contrary, oblique, and static
- 28 sessions from September to May
- weekly one-hour live classes taught by RCM Examiner
- official Level 8 Examination
- full access to the online study guide (via Moodle Account)
- Practice Tests - can be completed as many times a student wishes before taking the Unit Test
- Unit Tests - can only be completed once and cumulatively represent 40% of a student’s final grade
- Final Exam - taken only after all Unit Tests completed; Exam represents remaining 60% of final grade
- official RCM Examination Certificate upon succesful completion of Examination
Textbooks are not included in tuition and must be purchased by students prior to the first class.
Completion of RCM Level 7 Theory.
(not included in tuition):