Apply for a Licentiate Examination
The Licentiate Diploma (LRCM), Performer is intended for candidates who wish to further refine their artistry and seek additional performance and evaluation opportunities beyond the Associate Diploma (ARCT). The Licentiate examination is evaluated as a concert performance. Candidates are expected to demonstrate a masterful command of the instrument and communicate an understanding of stylistic characteristics and structural elements of each repertoire selection with interpretive insight and a mature musical personality.
Licentiate examinations will be evaluated by two senior members of the College of Examiners. Candidates will receive a written critique of their performance along with an overall mark.
Candidates must achieve an Honors standing (at least 70 percent) in order to be awarded the Licentiate Diploma.
Prerequisites for the Licentiate Diploma (LRCM) in Piano, Performer
Associate Diploma (ARCT) in Piano, Performer
Prerequisites for the Licentiate Diploma (LRCM) in Violin, Performer
Associate Diploma (ARCT) in Violin, Performer
For more information on examination requirements and policies please consult the Syllabus.
How to Register
- Submit your proposed program for your Licentiate examination here. You will be asked to confirm that you have met the prerequisites.
- Your proposed program form will be reviewed by the Academic Office.
- You will either be emailed an official approval (PDF) OR commentary on why your program was not approved. If your program was not approved, you will need to resubmit your proposed program.
- If your program is approved, register for your exam here – you will be able to select exam dates between 14 and 180 days from the date of registration. Note that Licentiate exams conducted remotely will take place via Zoom.
- When your examination date and time is confirmed, please submit your program form using the link in your MyRCM account and attach your PDF approval at the bottom of the program form (in the Licentiate section).