I have been teaching piano for over 24 years with an active and vibrant group of pianists who range in age from Six to Senior, as music bridges the gap and binds us all together through so many of life’s experiences. My mom was the driving force for me when I was young, and she encouraged my two sisters and I to persevere to all obtain our A.R.C.T’s in Piano Performance before our high school graduation! I worked outside the home for almost 15 years with the Durham District School Board Administration, and then as my husband and I started a family I returned to RCM exams and completed my A.R.C.T. Teacher’s exam with the assistance of my amazing sister/mentor Sharon Perkins, (who is now an examiner for the RCM).
I now find great fulfillment investing into the lives of each of my piano and theory students, as music contributes to moulding them in so many avenues of life! And I’ve been the student, who, without parental “encouragement” (ahem!) would have walked away from the piano had I been given the chance on several occasions! I know what competes with our hearts and our time, and I know the better choice!! Hoping to continue investing, encouraging and seeing the fruit of my labour to the next generation and beyond! My son is currently finishing his A.R.C.T. Performer’s (I became “that mom!”) and enjoying playing worship music at our church!
What makes me ME?? I’m a twin! I taught American Sign Language in Night school and I love crochet, writing letters and reading on the front porch. Mornings are my favourite time of day with a cup of coffee, and DQ is always welcome!! I have taught Women’s Bible Study, children’s choirs at our church, and am very involved with a great group of Grade 3/4 girls every Sunday in Faithland.
I am married to the dearest heart, John, and have one recently married son, who resides in our finished basement with his precious wife. And, in 2021, Lord willing, I will add “Grandmother” to my title as well!!! I am blessed!!
Instrument / Discipline
- Youth (7-17)
- Adults (18+)
- Young Children (under 7)
- At own home
- At own studio
- Piano - Advanced
- Piano - Elementary
- Piano - Intermediate
- Theory - Elementary
- Theory - Intermediate
- 1996 - Music Pedagogy - Royal Conservatory
- 1994 - Certification - Trent University
- 1990 - Certification - Durham College
- 1986 - Diploma - Ontario Bible College (now Tyndale)
- 1985 - Certification - Basic Youth Conflicts, Toronto, ON
- 1983 - Certification - Durham Deaf Centre
- 1983 - Diploma - Durham College
- 1981 - Diploma - O'Neill C.V.I., Oshawa
- 1981 - Piano Performer - Royal Conservatory of Music
- Administration - Business Law, Office Technology - Durham College - 1990
- Human Relations - Personnel Management - Extension Night School - Durham College - 1989
- Psychology, Sociology, Poetry, English - Extension Night School - Trent University - 1994
- Ontario Registered Music Teachers' Association - Provincial / State