The story states: “Canada's classical musicians were undeterred [by pandemic restrictions] and in many cases used the pandemic hiatus to learn new repertoire and make records they may not have had time to make under normal circumstances. With physical-distancing restrictions in place for much of the year, it's understandable that the majority of new releases in 2021 were solo projects, especially solo piano and violin.”
From alumni and faculty of the RCM Certificate Program, The Glenn Gould School and The Phil and Eli Taylor Performance Academy for Young Artists, to Koerner Hall performers, here are the RCM artists in the Top 21 this year:
21. Introspection: Solo Piano Sessions, Yannick Nézet-Séguin
Featuring Koerner Hall artist, Yannick Nézet-Séguin.
20. Philip Glass: The Complete Piano Etudes, Leslie Dala
Leslie Dala is an alumnus of the RCM Certificate Program.
19. Beethoven: Violin Sonatas 4, 9, 10, Charles Richard-Hamelin, Andrew Wan
Andrew Wan is an RCM alumnus and has performed in Koerner Hall multiple times.
16. Tapeo, Cameron Crozman and Philip Chiu
Philp Chiu is an alumnus of The Phil and Eli Taylor Performance Academy for Young Artists.
15. Debussy: Preludes, Book 1, Jean-Luc Therrien
Jean-Luc Therrien is a 2021-22 Rebanks Family Fellow at The Royal Conservatory’s Glenn Gould School (GGS).
13. Love Songs, Angela Hewitt
Angela Hewitt is an RCM alumna and has performed in Koerner Hall multiple times.
11. Chopin, Bruce Liu
Bruce Liu is a Koerner Hall performer and winner of the prestigious 2021 International Chopin Piano Competition in Warsaw.
9. Prokofiev: Piano Sonatas Vol. 1, David Jalbert
David Jalbert is an alumnus of GGS.
8. Klebanov: Chamber Works, ARC Ensemble
The Artists of the Royal Conservatory (ARC Ensemble) is comprised of senior GGS faculty, with special guests drawn from the organization's most accomplished students and alumni.
7. Chopin: 24 Preludes, Charles Richard-Hamelin
Charles Richard-Hamelin has performed in Koerner Hall multiple times.
5. Music for Self-Isolation, Frank Horvat, various musicians
Frank Horvat is an alumnus of the RCM Certificate Program.
4. Ysaÿe: Six Sonatas for Solo Violin, Kerson Leong
Featuring Koerner Hall artist, Kerson Leong.
3. Chopin: Complete Nocturnes, Jan Lisiecki
A Juno Award winner, UNESCO Ambassador and alumnus of the GGS, Jan Lisiecki has performed in Koerner Hall multiple times.
2. Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, James Ehnes
James Ehnes made his Koerner Hall debut during the inaugural concert season and has performed there several times. He is also a recipient of the Honorary Fellowship of the RCM.
1. Enargeia, Emily d'Angelo, Das freie Orchester Berlin, Jarkko Riihimäki
Emily d'Angelo has performed multiple times in Koerner Hall.