Independent Study Frequently Asked Questions
Independent Study Frequently Asked Questions
The Independent Study is completed by submitting three assignments:
* please note that the unprecedented challenges due to COVID-19 might affect these timelines
- Assignment 1 - Select and submit your essay topic and question (5 marks):
- When submitting your selected essay topic and question, you must also submit the composers/works you have selected, based on the specific requirements of your topic (Musical Theater, Jazz, Technology in Music)
- Once your topic is submitted, a member of the College of Examiners will provide you with feedback and a mark (within 10 business days*). To address the feedback received, you may resubmit the essay topic up to two more times.
- Assignment 2 - Submit your outline and a list of references (5 marks):
- Having thoroughly researched your topic, the next step is to submit your essay outline and list of references
- Once your outline and list of references is submitted, a member of the College of Examiners will review your materials and provide you with feedback and a mark (within 10 business days*). To address the feedback received, you may resubmit the outline and list of references up to two more times.
- Assignment 3 - Submit your essay and list of references (10 marks):
- The final step is to write and submit the essay, based on your approved outline. Be sure to cite references as appropriate.
- A member of the College of Examiners will review and mark the essay (within 10 business days*). The essay can only be submitted once.
Independent Study FAQ
When should I start working on my Independent Study?
It is recommended that you start working on your research after completing several units of the Modern era section of the ARCT History course. Music in this period encompasses many diverse stylistic currents, and you should have the opportunity to experience and explore some of these currents, including Impressionism, Expressionism, serialism, neo-Classicism, and minimalism, before moving to your independent study.
How much time should I plan for completing it?
Given the three-step submission process, the 10 business day turn-around, and the possibility to take advantage of resubmissions when applicable for a higher grade, please plan for the completion process to take up to 3 months (note that you have one year from the date of purchase to complete the course.)
We recommended starting when you have completed several units of the Modern Era, and to continue your study of the Modern Era while awaiting your feedback and results.
Can I complete the exam before the independent study?
The independent study unit must be completed before the complete exam can be attempted. The ARCT History Independent Study Unit is structured so that students receive credit for following the process as outlined: First, selecting a topic, then researching and creating an outline, and finally writing the essay. The 10-day period between each submission is to allow for assessment of each stage. The requirement that students complete the Independent Study Unit in advance of the Examination is intended to ensure that students complete this essential component of ARCT History course.
How long should each assignment be?
- Assignment 1: there is no specific word count as you are submitting your essay topic and question as well as the composers/works you have selected, based on the specific requirements of your topic (Musical Theater, Jazz, Technology in Music)
- Assignment 2: there is no specific word count as you are submitting an outline and a list of references. The outline should be written using point form, and should provide a complete overview of everything you will be covering in your essay.
- Assignment 3: The essay should be approximately 1200–2,000 words in length.
How to re-submit? Does my assignment get re-marked?
Should Assignment 2 be in bullet point or an essay draft?
Assignment 2 should be submitted in bullet point form. It is an outline which will guide the writing of your essay. The bullet points should outline all the ideas you will be addressing in your complete essay, (Assignment 3).
What are the references listed in Assignment 2 and 3?
As you do your research, it is important to keep track of the sources you have consulted, in case you ever wish to go back to check details or quote a source directly.
The complete list of resources you consulted during your research must be submitted as part of Assignments 2 and 3.
What happens if I submitted the wrong assignment?
Please email [email protected]
with your first and last name, RCM number (starts with 2 numbers and a letter).