For over three decades, Dr. Alexandra Townsend has been teaching piano to beginners of all ages, advanced amateurs, and accomplished musicians looking to improve their own playing and teaching skills. Her approach emphasizes a solid technical foundation as a means to achieving total freedom of personal expression in performance. Her students often achieve the highest rankings in RCM examinations.
A member of the McGill Conservatory faculty for 15 years, Dr. Townsend was invited to develop and teach a new piano pedagogy curriculum for McGill University. She has also served as lecturer, adjudicator, and festival clinician.
Dr. Townsend studied piano performance at McGill University (B.Mus), the New England Conservatory (M.Mus), the University of British Columbia (DMA), with post-doctoral studies in London, England. She is a Registered Music Teacher with the Association des professeurs de musique du Québec and a member of the Royal Conservatory of Music's College of Examiners.
Instrument / Discipline
- Piano Pedagogy
- Youth (7-17)
- Adults (18+)
- Young Children (under 7)
- At own home
- At own studio
- Piano - Advanced
- Piano - Elementary
- Piano - Intermediate
- Theory - Elementary
- Theory - Intermediate
- 2004 - Member, College of Examiners - The Royal Conservatory
- 1997 - Doctor of Musical Arts - University of British Columbia
- 1994 - Master of Music - New England Conservatory
- 1992 - Bachelor of Music - McGill University
- Association des professeurs de musique du Québec/Quebec Registered Music Teachers' Association - Provincial / State