Dr. Ylan Chu is a Canadian-born Vietnamese pianist from Ottawa. She has performed as a soloist and chamber musician in Canada, the United States, Spain, and France. She made her Carnegie Hall debut in Weill Recital Hall in 2013. Ylan has won prizes at the Canadian Music Competition National Finals, Ontario Music Federation Association Competition, and Ontario Registered Music Teachers' Association Provincial Competition.
She has performed in music festivals and venues including the National Arts Centre of Canada, British High Commission Ottawa, Orford Arts Centre, and Adamant Music School. She has played in masterclasses for renowned pianists and pedagogues such as André Laplante, Jean-Paul Sévilla, John O'Conor, Jane Coop, Jean Saulnier, Maneli Pirzadeh, David Jalbert, Roy Howat, Marilyn Engle, Rosella Clini, and Stephen Prutsman. As a collaborative pianist, she has performed in masterclasses for Hans Jørgen Jensen, Rennie Regehr, Paul Marleyn, Brian Yoon, Bernard Turgeon, Daniel Taylor, Todd Thomas, Daniel Cabena, Julien LeBlanc, and Laura Loewen.
Ylan completed her Baccalaureate in Music (summa cum laude) and Master in Music at the University of Ottawa studying with Andrew Tunis. Her collaborative studies were with Laurence Ewashko, Stéphane Lemelin, and Frédéric Lacroix. She was awarded a Joseph Armand-Bombardier grant from the Canadian Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council, Ontario Graduate Scholarship, and Excellence Scholarships for her graduate studies. She also holds an Associate Piano Performance Diploma from the Royal Conservatory of Toronto under the guidance of Sandra Webster and a D.E.P.A. in Piano Performance from the Université de Montréal. Her doctoral studies were funded in part by the Fonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC). She holds a Doctorate in Music in Piano Performance from l'Université de Montréal in the studio of Paul Stewart. She has been teaching for over 15 years, with students of all levels and ages, both online and at her studio in Ottawa.
Instrument / Discipline
- Youth (7-17)
- Adults (18+)
- At a school
- At own home
- At own studio
- 2021 - Doctorate in Music (DMus) - Piano Performance - Université de Montréal
- 2017 - D.E.P.A. en musique (Diplôme d'études professionnelles approfondies) - interprétation piano - Université de Montréal
- 2016 - Master in Music (MMus) - Piano Performance - University of Ottawa
- 2014 - Bachelor of Music (BMus) - Piano Performance (summa cum laude) - University of Ottawa
- 2011 - A.R.C.T. - Piano Performance - Royal Conservatory of Music (RCM)
- HIGH FIVE training - Principles of Healthy Child Development - 2016
- Microprogramme de 1er cycle de formation intensive de musique - Degree from the Université de Sherbrooke in collaboration with Orford Musique for piano performance (solo, collaborative, and chamber) - 2017
- Ontario Registered Music Teachers' Association - Provincial / State