Education - Studies
- BMus (Piano Performance, minor in Violin), University of Ottawa
- MMus (Piano Performance), Tokyo National University of Fine Arts and Music (Tokyo Geijutsu Daigaku)
- DMA (Piano Accompanying and Chamber Music), Eastman School of Music
- MMus (Harpsichord Performance), Eastman School of Music
- University of Texas at Tyler, Tyler, TX Tyler Junior College, Tyler, TX
- University of North Carolina School of the Arts, Winston-Salem, NC
- Greensboro College, Greensboro, NC
- Winston-Salem State University, Winston-Salem, NC
Maria Guenette teaches applied piano lessons, accompanying class, piano pedagogy, piano literature, vocal literature, and vocal coaching at the University of Texas at Tyler. She teaches two private piano studios--in the Dallas area and in Tyler, Texas--to all ages and at all levels from beginner to advanced. Dr. Guenette prepares select students for Royal Conservatory examinations, including academic subjects.
Influential piano teachers in her career included Jean-Paul Sevilla, Takejiro Hirai, James Anagnoson, Jean Barr, Arthur Haas, and William Porter.
Maria presented a lecture for the Plano Music Teachers' Association highlighting the benefits of sight reading and quick study pieces in the student's musical curriculum. She has also presented several master classes at Texas A&M Commerce.
Since 2007 Dr. Guenette has adjudicated at Plano, Rockwall, Dallas Southwest, and East Texas area Music Teachers' Association contests.
As a performer Maria has appeared in numerous solo and collaborative performances in Canada, the USA, Japan, and Austria, including appearances on public radio stations such as CBC, NHK, and WDAV. She is a member of a piano and marimba duo called Well-Tempered Keyboards, which has commissioned new works for the genre, including works by Christine Donkin and Evan Hause. Dr. Guenette is the keyboardist for the East Texas Symphony Orchestra and a professional accompanist in the East Texas area.