New & Noteworthy: October 2021
Inaugural Artist in Residence Announced for The Royal Conservatory
The Royal Conservatory of Music has appointed internationally acclaimed pianist, composer and RCM alumnus Stewart Goodyear to a three-year term as its inaugural Artist in Residence. Mr. Goodyear’s role will be integrated into all aspects of the RCM including masterclasses and the 2022 launch of the new Piano Series.
Taylor Academy Alumnus is a Laureate of Prestigious International Piano Competition
Held every five years since 1927, the International Fryderyk Chopin Competition in Warsaw is one of the most prestigious piano events in the world. We are proud to celebrate JJ Jun Li Bui, alumnus of The Taylor Academy, who out of 500 applicants, placed sixth in this year’s competition.
GGS Fall Chamber Opera Features an All-Female Cast
Sung in Serbian, Svadba (Wedding), a Dora Mavor Moore award-winning opera by Serbian-born, Québec-based composer Ana Sokolović, is a tour de force a cappella work.
Donors Make New RCM Music Education Directory a Reality
Thanks to the support of the Henry Hung Family and Rosamond Ivey, music education has become more accessible with the creation of the RCM Music Education Directory.
Join Us for the Return of In-Person Master Classes
The Glenn Gould School is once again inviting members of the public to observe master classes with some of music's foremost teachers and practitioners. Offered free of charge to the public, and generously supported by Jenifer and Stephen McDonald, master classes provide distinctive insight into the creative process. Click the Learn More button to view the full schedule and reserve your seat.
ARC Ensemble Resurrects Works of Ukrainian Composer Relegated to Obscurity
A casualty of Soviet-era cultural suppression and anti-Semitism, Jewish-Ukrainian composer Dmitri Klebanov’s works are the focus of the ARC Ensemble’s latest recording in their acclaimed Music in Exile series.
- The talented students of The Glenn Gould School (GGS) and The Taylor Academy take to the Koerner Hall stage next month. Join us for the following performances:
- The Glenn Gould School Chamber Opera: Ana Sokolović’s Svadba – Nov. 5 & Nov. 6
- Earl Lee conducts the Royal Conservatory Orchestra – Nov. 19
- Taylor Academy Showcase Concert – Nov. 20
- La Fiammata Piano Duo, Linda Ruan (BMus ’19) and Charissa Vandikas (BMus ’19), spoke with Ludwig Van Toronto about their impressive 2nd prize win at this year’s ARD Competition.
- GGS students, alumni and faculty were featured on the soundtrack of Edward Burtynsky’s In the Wake of Progress, which premiered at Luminato on October 16.
- The Dior Quartet, Graduate Ensemble in Residence at GGS, has made the Finals of the Bartok World Competition in Hungary which takes place later today and can be watched here.