Gwen studied classical piano from the age of four with Arne Sahlen in Kimberley, BC, following the Royal Conservatory of Music curriculum and later, the Western Board of Music (now Conservatory Canada). After completing Grade 8 conservatory certification with first class honours (practical and theory), she completed a teacher training course with Wendy Guimont in Cranbrook. During that time she also taught elementary-level piano students of all ages and abilities. Gwen continued to study with Mr. Sahlen, completing the Grade 9 technique examination with the Western Board as well as an Associate of Science degree at the College of the Rockies in Cranbrook.
She took a break from teaching to earn a B.A.Sc. in chemical engineering with a minor in commerce from UBC, and later the CPA, CMA designation. However, she missed teaching music. In 2006, after having her first child, she completed the Music for Young Children Sunrise training course, also with Wendy Guimont in Cranbrook. She also worked full-time in industry until 2013.
Now an MYC teacher, Gwen has completed the Levels 1 and 2 of the MYC teacher training. She is also working toward completion of the advanced levels of study including theory and composition. In 2016-2017 she completed the written exam for RCM elementary pedagogy scoring first class honours with distinction, the elementary pedagogy practical exam, and the RCM Elementary Specialist program. Most recently Gwen has finished the teacher certification course with Glory St. Germain's Ultimate Music Theory (UMTC). She is currently enrolled in the RCM Intermediate Specialist program (Fall 2019).
- Youth (7-17)
- Adults (18+)
- Young Children (under 7)
- At a school
- At own home
- At own studio
- 2016 - Level 2 Teacher Seminar - Music for Young Children
- 2015 - Sunrise and Level 1 Teacher Certification - Music for Young Children
- 2013 - CMA - CPA-BC
- 2009 - P.Eng. - APEGA/APEGBC
- 2003 - B.A.Sc. - UBC
- 1998 - A.Sc. - College of the Rockies
- 1994 - Grade 8 Pianoforte - Western Board of Music
- Elementary Specialist - RCM Elementary Specialist training course - 2016
- Grade 9 partial exam - Western Board of Music - 1998
- MYC teacher training - Level 1 - 2015
- MYC Teacher Training - Level 2 - 2016
- RCM elementary piano pedagogy - Currently studying with Tammy Francis - 2015
- Teacher training - RMTA East Kootenay, BC - 1995
- Music for Young Children - National