Stocks and Securities
Stocks and Securities
A Tax-Smart Way to help The Royal Conservatory
Did you know that by donating stock you can eliminate the capital gains tax and realize immediate tax savings?
You receive a tax receipt for the fair market value of the securities and you will not be subject to any capital gains tax.
Making a gift of stock rather than selling the stock first, and donating the proceeds will also enable you to make a larger gift at a lower cost.
Eligible publicly listed securities include shares, debt obligations, or rights listed on a prescribed stock exchange, a share of the capital stock of a mutual fund corporation, a unit of a mutual fund trust, an interest in a related segregated fund trust, or a prescribed debt obligation such as a strip bond.
The simplest way to make your gift of stock or securities is to have the shares electronically transferred from your account to The Royal Conservatory’s account.
Staff in our Development office will help guide you through the process and provide any necessary information.
The receipt value will be based on the closing trading price on the day the stock is received by The Royal Conservatory. As with any gift, you may designate the use of the value of the securities or leave the gift unrestricted.
Donating publicly traded stock and securities is a tax-smart way to support The Conservatory.
More information about donating gifts of stock is below.
Please contact us so that we can assist you through every step of the process.
Is This Gift Right for You?
A gift of stock is for you if…
- You are interested in giving an outright gift to The Royal Conservatory.
- You hold stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares that have increased in value.
- You want to make a gift that does not affect your liquidity or cash flow.
- You want to enhance tax savings from your donation. This way, you receive a tax deduction from the donation itself and you eliminate paying tax on any capital gain on securities that have increased in value.
How it Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you own to The Royal Conservatory.
- The Conservatory sells your securities and uses the proceeds for its programs or area you wish the funds to support at the organization
- You can use our Stock Transfer Form to facilitate the gift.
- You receive an immediate income-tax credit for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Donating stock is more tax advantageous than donating cash.
Three quick and easy steps to donate your gift of stock to The Royal Conservatory:
- Download and complete the Stock Transfer Form.
- Send the completed Stock Transfer Form to your broker or investment advisor who will initiate, and be responsible for, the electronic transfer of securities.
- Please notify The Royal Conservatory of the stock transfer by sending a copy of the completed form by fax at 416-516-7637 or email at [email protected]. This will help us to ensure that the transfer is received by our broker and that we are able to issue your donation receipt and provide appropriate recognition for your generous donation.