Dr. Anne Marie Kuhny holds a Doctor of Musical Arts in Piano Performance and Literature from the University of Illinois. Two Master’s Degrees include her Master of Music in Piano Pedagogy (teaching piano) as well as her Master of Music in Piano Performance and Literature. Dr. Kuhny holds undergraduate degrees in both Piano Performance and Music History.
All of her degrees are from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, during which Dr. Kuhny had the privilege of studying for ten years with Dr. Ian Hobson, “a musician of tremendous versatility who has earned an international reputation as a pianist, conductor, and educator.”
Pre-college, Dr. Kuhny was fortunate to study for five years with Dr. Karen Shaw at Indiana University. Mr. John Reglin of Chicago provided the firm foundation for these university-level studies. Dr. Kuhny began piano lessons at the age of three.
Outside of her education, Dr. Kuhny has had a wide variety of musical experiences. Her love for music festivals has led her to attend at the University of Illinois Summer Piano Institute, CCM Prague International Piano Masterclasses, Amalfi Coast Music and Arts Festival and the Indiana University Piano Academy. She has been chosen for multiple master classes both at home and abroad, and has successfully competed across the Midwest.
A true lover of the arts, her favorite activities include concerts at Krannert Center, Orchestra Hall and Ravinia, opera at Lyric Opera of Chicago, and exhibits at the Art Institute of Chicago. During her university study, her favorite coursework was piano, chamber music, and music history.
An experienced music educator, Dr. Kuhny taught piano to children and adults throughout her graduate study at the University of Illinois Piano Laboratory Program. Dedicated to the development of young musicians, Dr. Kuhny has held leadership positions with the University of Illinois chapter of MTNA as its Vice President and Treasurer.
Currently, Dr. Kuhny is a member of the West Suburban and Chicago Area chapters of the MTNA. She currently serves on the Joint Board of the West Suburban chapter and is their Joint Workshop Coordinator. One of Dr. Kuhny’s Master of Music degrees is in piano pedagogy (teaching piano to children), making her an expert in all methods of piano education. In addition to traditional (music-reading first) methods, she has the highest level (7) of certification in teaching of ear-training first (Suzuki) piano, thereby giving students and parents a choice of approach.
Instrument / Discipline
- Piano Pedagogy
- Youth (7-17)
- Adults (18+)
- Young Children (under 7)
- At a school
- At own studio
- 2018 - DMA - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2015 - MM - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2014 - MM - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 2012 - BMUS - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Every Child Can - Suzuki Training Introduction with Ann Montzka Smelser - 2014
- Suzuki Piano Level 1 - Suzuki Piano Book 1 Certification with Caroline Fraser - 2014
- Suzuki Piano Level 2 - Suzuki Piano Book 2 Certification with Mary Craig Powell - 2015
- Suzuki Piano Level 3 - Suzuki Piano Book 3 Certification with Mary Craig Powell - 2015
- Suzuki Piano Level 4 - Suzuki Piano Book 4 Certification with Mary Craig Powell - 2015
- Suzuki Piano Level 5 - Suzuki Piano Book 6 Certification with Mary Craig Powell - 2015
- Suzuki Piano Level 6 - Suzuki Piano Book 6 Certification with Nancy Modell - 2016
- Suzuki Piano Level 7 - Suzuki Piano Book 7 Certification with Fay Adams - 2016
- Illinois Music Teachers Association - Provincial / State
- Music Teachers National Association - National
- Suzuki Association of the Americas - National