All piano applicants are required to upload video with their application for pre-screening. Videos will be reviewed by a jury, and selected applicants will be invited to audition in person at The Royal Conservatory. Invitations to audition will be sent by mid-April.
- Video does not need to be professionally recorded, however sound and picture quality should be clear and steady. Jurors reserve the right to refuse poor quality videos.
- The image must provide a clear view of the student’s hands and the keyboard.
- Pianists should perform repertoire per the requirements listed in the “Repertoire” section below. Repertoire for the in-person audition can (but is not required) to be the same as the video audition repertoire.
Each applicant must prepare contrasting pieces that demonstrate the student’s musicianship and level of technical development.
Pre-screening Video: Choice of two (2) of the following:
Live Audition: Three (3) of the following:
- One selection from the Baroque era: Senior applicants must prepare a Prelude & Fugue, or two contrasting movements of a suite. Junior applicants may select any Baroque work.
- One first movement of a Classical period sonata (e.g. Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn, etc.)
- One Romantic or 20th/21st Century selection